As autumn marches on, temperatures are getting chillier every day. There’s nothing we can do about that. But we do get to decide how we react to the changing seasons, and if you’re among the many who aren’t ready to let go of summer just yet, there are plenty of ways you can keep the good times rolling well into fall. Focusing on fall home improvement can do just that.
Outdoor Fall Home Improvement Ideas
These DIY projects not only give you something fun to work on as the leaves change, but also allow you to extend patio season even into the chilly nights of autumn. From putting in a fire pit to planting upgrading your lighting, these fall home improvement ideas will make your house the go-to spot in the neighborhood for autumn festivities.
- Put in a Fire Pit – Who doesn’t love a campfire? It’s the perfect way to end the day, and there’s no better time to gather a round a crackling fire than a crisp autumn night. Granted, you’ll want to swap your flip-flops and swimming trunks for a cozy flannel. Whether you buy a fire pit that’s easy to install, or decide to DIY one on your own, you really can’t go wrong.
- Plant Fall Veggies – You don’t have to stop gardening when summer ends. Cold weather crops like kale, peas, spinach, lettuce, broccoli and more will continue to produce well into fall. You could even take it a step further by planting a fall orchard. It’s a long-term investment that will likely take a few years to bear fruit, but imagine picking apples in your own backyard every autumn.
- Get a Patio Heater – This is probably the easiest way to ensure that cold temperatures don’t force you inside this fall. A wide variety of patio heaters are available, including electric or propane-fueled models; large stand-alone heaters or smaller tabletop ones. Pick one that suits your needs and enjoy the cool nights of fall in comfort.
- Upgrade Outdoor Lighting – The biggest problem with fall isn’t the dropping temperatures, it’s the shorter days. Improving the lighting around your back porch or patio will make your yard much inviting in the evening hours. Get creative with string lights, wall lights, and path lights.
- Install an Outdoor Kitchen – Barbecuing is definitely not just for summer. By upgrading your grill to an outdoor kitchen you can have a ball cooking outdoors all autumn long—even in winter. There are an infinite number of outdoor kitchen ideas to choose from.
- Put in a Spa – Just because the pool is closed for the year doesn’t mean you can’t go outside and take a dip. If the water is warm enough, you can enjoy it in any weather, which is what makes an outdoor spa such a great investment. And fall is arguably the best time for a warm soak on a cool night, sipping a mug of hot cider—or maybe something stronger.
You will also find this article helpful: Fall is the Perfect Time to Clean and Seal Your Deck