Maintenance is essential for all major appliances, and your refrigerator is no exception. These simple maintenance and refrigerator care tips will keep your fridge running efficiently, which will reduce your energy costs, prevent costly problems in the future, and keep your food fresh longer.
- Clean the door gasket every three months with warm soapy water. Towel it dry, and inspect the seal to make sure it closes snugly all the way around. If the gasket is loose, cracked or torn, it should be replaced.
- Vacuum the fan and condenser coils every three months – the condenser coils are usually located on the rear or bottom of the appliance. If you have pets, you might want to vacuum the coils monthly.
- If you have a model that dispenses ice and/or water, change the filter every six months.
- Maintain adequate clearance all around your fridge, unless you have a front-vented or zero-clearance model. In particular, be sure not to stack anything in front of the condenser coil.
- Empty the ice maker bucket once a month; old ice cubes can absorb odors, and a monthly change keeps them fresh.
- Keep the food in your refrigerator covered to prevent odors from circulating. An open box of baking soda—which generally costs only around $1—can absorb odors for up to three months.
- Check your fridge every three months to make sure the appliance is level (both side to side and front to back) to ensure proper ice maker operation and door movement.
- Keep your fridge full. A well-stocked refrigerator cools more efficiently, and will cost less to operate.
We hope you find these 8 Essential Refrigerator Care Tips useful!
You may also find this interesting: DIY Maintenance Tips To Keep Your Appliances Running